ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Diploma in Accounting programme is designed to provide a strong foundation in the general aspects of business and accounting and prepares students with the effective skills to support the accounting function of a business and the processes of a company.
This course also provides the learning of how business elements integrate with each other enabling them to communicate successfully in any business environment and in a nutshell, Sunway DIA nurtures business knowledge and experience by preparing students to join the work force or for future studies in the accounting field.
The Sunway Diploma in Accounting graduates will have the option to enter into Year 2 of undergraduate programmes at a wide range of top ranking local and overseas universities, including Nottingham University Malaysia Campus, University of Waikato, New Zealand, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, Birmingham City University, UK, University of Western Australia, Curtin University Sarawak and Australia, Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak Campus, James Cook University, Singapore, KDU University College, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia Catholic University, Sydney, Cardiff University, Wales, Kaplan Higher Education Academy, Singapore, University College of Technology Sarawak (UCTS), UCSI University and Sunway University.
With our articulation pathways, our DIA graduates can choose to study overseas in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or Singapore. DIA also allows for progression to professional accounting qualifications offered by Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and Chartered Tax Institute of Malaysia (CTIM), and obtaining the DIA is the first step towards becoming a chartered professional accountant.
- Develop the students’ the ability to communicate in English verbally and in written form, with special reference to accounting and business contexts;
- Enable students to acquire in-depth knowledge of the foundations of accounting and finance;
- Cultivate understanding of the natures and skills of logical reasoning and develop capacity for innovative thinking and effective communication in students;
- Facilitate an understanding of the relationship between business and its environment, and the influence this has on how organisations are structured, and developed in relation to its human resources and systems;
- Prepare students to be able to apply their knowledge and skills to support accountants in planning and decision-making in different business contexts.
This qualification can offer students good job stability, and also the ﬂexibility of a wide range of career options, in many diversiﬁed ﬁelds such as portfolio management, investment banking, broking and ﬁnance.
Students can expect excellent career prospects, good starting salaries and a fast career progression track, with the strong technical skills students will acquire taking up this diploma course. This will place them in good stead for ﬂexible career options & further educational advancement.
All of these careers involve practicing ﬁnance and investment principles as the primary career emphasis.
Graduates of Diploma in Accounting – pathway to a career as:
- Chartered Accountant
- Tax Consultant
- Finance Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Commercial Banker
- Marketing Manager
- Investment Banker
- Financial Accounting 1
- Cost and Management Accounting 1
- Software Applications
- English 1
- Principal of Marketing
- English 2
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Finance
- Business Mathematics
- Financial Accounting 2
- Company Law
- Business Statistics
- Business Information System
- Cost and Management Accounting 2
- Financial Accounting 3
- Taxation 1
- Business Law
- Computerised Accounting System
- Audit and Assurance
- Financial Reporting
- Taxation 2
- Business Communication
** Elective Subjects (Choose only ONE)
- Business Research
- Human Resource Management
- Islamic Finance
- Electronic Commerce
** Not all subjects subject to will be offered every semester and are availability.
Malaysian students are required to pass the MPU* subjects
|MPU 1||MPU 2||MPU 3||MPU 4|
|Pengajian Malaysia 2|
Bahasa Kebangsaan A
Critical Thinking Skills 2
|Community Services 1|
* Matapelajaran Umum (MPU) subjects are COMPULSORY for Diploma students. Not all subjects will be offered every semester and are subject to availability.
January, April, August, October
The major objective of the assessment and examination procedures is to improve student learning and measure their comprehension.
- A pass in SPM or its equivalent with a minimum of 3 credits including Mathematics and a pass in English; or
- A pass in STPM or its equivalent, with a minimum of Grade C (GP2.0) in any subject, and credits in Mathematics and a pass in English at SPM level; or
- A pass in STAM with a minimum grade of Maqbul and credits in Mathematics and a pass in English at SPM level; or
- A pass in SKM Level 3 in a related field and a pass in SPM with a minimum of 1 credit in Mathematics and a pass in English; or
- A certificate or its equivalent in a related field.